THE WINDOW FOR APPLICATIONS HAS NOW CLOSED.
Clwyd Special Riding Centre has an exciting opportunity for an experienced groom to come and join our small and friendly Equine Team. This is an ideal role for an enthusiastic, driven and experienced individual to work on a professional yard of c20 Riding for the Disabled (RDA) horses and ponies.
The primary aim of the role is to help look after and prepare our horses for all activities at the Centre, and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) and BD Para Dressage competitions held off site. Includes the exercising and schooling of horses.
The successful candidate will have Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and previous yard experience. Must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
Full-time 40 hours a week. 8am - 5pm Mon-Fri (inc. one evening and occasional weekend work).
Salary at relevant National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage rate.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 4th February 2024.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Full details of the role provided below.
TO APPLY: Please email your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org or send a hard copy in the post marked ‘Confidential’ and addressed to the Equine Manager to: Clwyd Special Riding Centre, Llanfynydd, Flintshire, LL11 5HN.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Preparation of horses for all activities at the Centre, both on site and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) and BD Para Dressage competitions.
Exercising and schooling of horses as directed by the Equine Manager.
A variety of tasks will be required to ensure the smooth running of the charity which include:
• Schooling and hacking out.
• Mucking out.
• Field maintenance.
• Harrowing arenas and track.
• Working with volunteers and delegating jobs to them (if volunteering on the yard).
• Tidying the yard, keeping it to a high and professional standard.
• Working with RDA coaches and riders and assisting when required.
• Support the running of: RDA Own a Pony Days, BHS Changing Lives Through Horses sessions, and other equine assisted therapy.
• Supporting the Equine Manager with the RDA Regional Qualifiers and RDA National Championships.
• General day-to-day horse and field checks.
Offer of support towards BHS exams.
Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities with i.e. cleanliness and safe condition.
Understanding of the correct behaviour around horses.
Complete necessary yard paperwork.
Supervise and work alongside volunteers and work experience students.
Work alongside volunteers in the provision of RDA sessions.
Tractor driving, to assist with pasture management and daily activities. (compulsory training given).
Be responsible for your own safety and the safety of your colleagues whilst on site. (After six months’ employment, all yard staff are required to complete IOSH Working Safely health and safety online course.)
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is compulsory. Hat, safety boots and uniform provided.
Follow all the Centre’s policies including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection and Confidentiality Policies.
Help promote the work of the Clwyd Special Riding Centre.
Other duties assigned by the Equine Manager or Yard Supervisor, to assist in the smooth running of the Centre.
• Driving licence (due to the location of the Centre).
• Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience.
• Proven previous yard experience.
• Must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament, and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
• Experience of and able to work as part of a team.
• Able to work on own initiative and without supervision to a high standard.
• Excellent communication and customer skills.
• Able to plan and prioritise work when required.
• Able to work within given policies.
• Customer-focused approach to work.
• An outgoing positive approach to working life at CSRC.
• Able to be adaptable and flexible particularly with reference to evening and weekend work.
• Tractor driving experience.
• First Aid Qualification.
• Previous experience with RDA.
• Communicate through the medium of Welsh.
• Excellent work ethic and time management skills.
• Dependable and reliable, with excellent attendance record.
• Professional manner and appearance.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Awareness of the need for confidentiality.