We are looking for an experienced groom to come and join our small and friendly Equine Team. This is an exciting role for an enthusiastic, driven and experienced individual to work on a professional yard of c20 RDA horses and ponies.
The primary aim of the role is to help look after and prepare our horses for all activities at the Centre, both on site and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) competitions.
The successful candidate will have at least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience; previous yard experience and must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
Full-time 40 hours a week. 8am - 5pm Mon-Fri (inc. one evening and occasional weekend work). Salary: National Minimal Wage.
Full details of the role provided below.
TO APPLY: Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a hard copy in the post marked ‘Confidential’ and addressed to the Operations Director to: Clwyd Special Riding Centre, Llanfynydd, Flintshire, LL11 5HN.
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 16th May 2023.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Preparation of horses for all activities at the Centre, both on site and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) competitions and demonstrations off site. This includes tacking up with specific equipment for RDA sessions.
Exercising and schooling of horses as directed by the Equine Manager.
A variety of tasks will be required to ensure the smooth running of the charity which include tasks such as:
• Mucking out.
• Field maintenance.
• Harrowing arenas and track.
• Repairs and DIY tasks.
• Working with volunteers and delegating jobs to them (if volunteering on the yard).
• Tidying of the yard and always keeping a high and professional standard.
• Working with RDA coaches and riders and assisting when required.
• Running and supervising of Own a Pony Days and other yard related activities.
• Supporting the Equine Manager with the RDA Regional Qualifiers and RDA National Championships.
• General day-to-day horse and field checks.
• Collecting forage and feed.
• Supporting the Centre in any other task and working with the team to support in any way possible.
To train towards RDA coaching qualifications. With possibility for support towards BHS exams.
Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities with i.e. cleanliness and safe condition.
Understanding of the correct behaviour around horses.
Complete necessary yard paperwork.
Supervise and work alongside volunteers and work experience students.
Work alongside volunteers in the provision of RDA sessions.
Tractor driving, to assist with pasture management and daily activities. (compulsory training given).
Follow all the Centre’s policies including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection and Confidentiality Policies.
Help promote the work of the Clwyd Special Riding Centre.
Other duties assigned by the Equine Manager or Yard Supervisor, to assist in the smooth running of the Centre.
• Driving licence.
• At least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience.
• Previous yard experience.
• Must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
• Experience of and able to work as part of a team.
• Able to work without supervision to a high standard.
• Excellent communication and customer skills.
• Able to plan and priorities work when required.
• Able to work within given policies.
• Customer-focused approach to work.
• An outgoing positive approach to working life at CSRC.
• Able to be adaptable and flexible particularly with reference to evening and weekend work.
• Tractor driving experience.
• First Aid Qualification.
• Previous experience with RDA.
• Communicate through the medium of Welsh.
• Excellent work ethic and time management skills.
• Dependable and reliable, with excellent attendance record.
• Professional manner and appearance.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Awareness of the need for confidentiality.