We have an exciting opportunity for a qualified Equine Manager to come and run our small professional yard of RDA horses and ponies. The Equine Manager will have responsibility for our yard of 20 horses and a small team of grooms, with the assistance of a Yard Supervisor. You will oversee the effective management of the day-to-day activities on the yard, the ongoing care of the horses and the maintenance of the equestrian facilities.
The successful candidate will hold BHSQ L3 Coach in Complete Horsemanship (BHSAI equivalent)) and BHSQ L4 Senior Yard Manager (Stage 4 care equivalent) and must have experience of managing and training staff. You will receive training to become an RDA coach if not already qualified.
Full details of the role below. Interview will include a riding element.
TO APPLY: Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a hard copy in the post marked ‘Confidential’ and addressed to the Operations Director to: Clwyd Special Riding Centre, Llanfynydd, Flintshire, LL11 5HN. Interview will include a riding element.
The closing date for applications is Friday 12th May 2023.
EQUINE MANAGER - JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Responsible to: Operations Director and Trustees.
Responsible for: Equine Staff, Care of the Horses and overseeing the maintenance of the equine facilities.
Summary of Role: To manage all equine related matters in order to provide riding, carriage driving, residential holidays and equine based therapy for the beneficiaries of Clwyd Special Riding Centre (CSRC).
Hours: Full-time - 40 per week Salary: £26k pa with a workplace pension scheme included.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Care and welfare of the horses/ponies:
• Ensure the production of an effective equine workforce for the sessions at CSRC.
• Ensure that high standards are maintained in the care and management of the horses and that both their mental and physical wellbeing is considered at all times.
• Ensure the effective production and implementation of work programmes for the horses as required.
• Monitor and order equine related supplies including feed, bedding, medication, tack etc.
• Maintain records and ensure vaccinations, farriery, dentist, physiotherapy, health checks and tack checks are carried out as required. Liaise with the relevant agencies.
• Acquire and retire horses as necessary.
• Manage the preparation of horses for events such as open days, sponsor and donor visits, training days and competitions including regional and national Riding for the Disabled (RDA) events.
• Ensure all paperwork is in order for any inspections, e.g. Riding School and BHS licences.
• Delegate tasks to Yard Supervisor as appropriate.
• Liaise with the owners of loan horses.
2. Care and welfare of the staff:
• Oversee the effective deployment of the yard team and allocation of tasks in conjunction with the Yard Supervisor.
• Effective planning and managing of the staff rota.
• Monitor staff performance and assist in their professional development.
• Organise and support work experience students and volunteers whilst on the yard.
• Deliver coaching and training to staff members.
• Ensure that staff are appropriately prepared for important events such as open days, sponsor and donor visits, training days and competitions including regional and national RDA events.
• Co-ordinate the day-to-day maintenance of all equine related areas, proactively managing the yard, stables, arenas, pasture etc.
• Ensure that the equine budget is managed effectively.
• Work closely with the Operations Director and trustees in developing the charity’s aims and implementing the three-year strategy.
• Provide monthly updates for trustee meetings.
• Work as part of the CSRC team which includes regular liaising with the Operations Director, other staff, trustees, volunteers and beneficiaries.
• Monitor and ensure health and safety regulations are followed, in line with Centre policy.
• Undertake additional duties as determined by the trustees.
• Hold BHSQ L3 Coach in Complete Horsemanship (BHSAI) and BHSQ L4 Senior Yard Manager (Stage 4 care).
• GCSE Grade C/4 or above in English and Maths.
• Full driving licence.
Capabilities and Skills:
• Proven ability to independently manage an equine environment, including managing and training staff.
• Experience of producing horses and ponies of all ages that fulfils the requirements expected by CSRC and the RDA.
• Experience of the purchase or loan of horses and the appropriate vetting process.
• Experience of ordering supplies, equipment and services.
• Excellent communication and customer relation skills.
• Able to plan and prioritise work effectively and to a high standard.
• Able to work within given policies and guidelines.
• Excellent administration and IT skills.
• Good presentation skills.
• Experience of the implementation of Health and Safety legislation.
• RDA Coach Certificate or RDA Advanced Coach.
• BHS Accredited Professional Coach.
• First Aid at Work Certificate.
• Safeguarding Certificate.
Capabilities and Skills:
• Experience of working within the confines of an annual budget.
• Experience of driving a tractor and a small horsebox.
• Training will be given otherwise.
• RDA experience.
3. Personal Qualities:
• Excellent attendance record.
• The ability to maintain a professional appearance and outlook at all times.
• Dependable, reliable and passionate about the industry.
• Excellent work ethic and time management skills.
• Ability to lead but to also work as part of a team.
• Awareness of the need for confidentiality.
• Willingness to commit to further personal training and development.
• To be adaptable and flexible to the rota and the needs of CSRC.