Clwyd Special Riding Centre has an opening for a weekend groom on our friendly, busy yard of 18 horses. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, driven and experienced person to get involved with our wonderful charity.
- Part-time: 8am – 5pm Saturday and Sunday
- National minimal wage
- Minimum age: 18
- At least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience
- Confident rider.
Read the full Job Description below.
TO APPLY: Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a hard copy in the post marked ‘Confidential’ and addressed to the Operations Director to: Clwyd Special Riding Centre, Llanfynydd, Flintshire, LL11 5HN.
The closing date for applications is Friday 28th April 2023.
WEEKEND GROOM JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION:
Responsible to: The Equine Manager and Yard Supervisor.
Summary of Position: To join a small friendly team as a weekend groom to the horses at Clwyd Special Riding Centre (CSRC), ensuring the welfare and needs of the horses and ponies are always paramount. Assist in the smooth running of the yard regarding all its activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Preparation of horses for all activities at the Centre, both on site and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) competitions off site.
Exercising and schooling of horses as directed by the Equine Manager.
A variety of tasks will be required to ensure the smooth running of the yard which include tasks such as:
• Tacking up.
• Tack cleaning.
• Exercising horses.
• Mucking out.
• Field maintenance.
• Tidying of the yard and always keeping it to a high and professional standard.
• General day-to-day horse and field checks.
• Working with RDA coaches and riders and assisting when required.
• Supporting Own a Pony Days and other yard related activities.
• Supporting the Centre in any other tasks and working with the team to support in any way possible.
Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities with regard to cleanliness and safe condition.
Understand the correct behaviour around horses.
Complete necessary yard paperwork.
Opportunities to progress in role and to help at RDA Regional Qualifiers and RDA National Championships.
Work alongside volunteers in the provision of RDA sessions.
Follow all the Centre’s policies including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding and Confidentiality Policies.
Help promote the work of the Clwyd Special Riding Centre.
Other duties assigned by the Equine Manager or Yard Supervisor to assist in the smooth running of the yard.
• Driving license.
• At least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience.
• Previous yard experience.
• Must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament, and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
• Able to work without supervision to a high standard.
• Excellent communication and customer skills.
• Able to plan and prioritise work when required.
• Able to work within given policies.
• First Aid Qualification.
• Previous experience with RDA.
• Tractor driving experience.
• Excellent attendance record.
• Time management skills.
• Professional manner and appearance.
• Dependable and reliable.
• Excellent work ethic.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Awareness of the need for confidentiality.