Clwyd Special Riding Centre is looking to recruit an experienced full-time groom to come and join our small and friendly professional Equine Team.
This is an exciting role for an enthusiastic, driven and experienced individual to work on a professional yard of 20 horses.
• Full-time – 40 hours a week
• Some evening and weekend work
• National minimal wage
• At least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience
Read the full Job Description below or download here.
To apply, download the Job Application Form here and return to: email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Friday 17th February.
Interview date: Thursday 23rd February. The interview will include a ridden element.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
To join a small friendly team as a groom to the horses at Clwyd Special Riding Centre (CSRC), ensuring the welfare and needs of the horses and ponies are paramount at all times.
Assist in the smooth running of the Centre with regard to all its activities.
Includes some evening and weekend work.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Preparation of horses for all activities at the Centre, both on site and for Riding for the Disabled (RDA) competitions and demonstrations off site. This includes tacking up with specific equipment for RDA sessions, including Hippotherapy.
• Exercising and schooling of horses as directed by the Equine Manager.
• A variety of tasks will be required to ensure the smooth running of the charity which include tasks such as:
o Mucking out.
o Field maintenance.
o Harrowing arenas and track.
o Repairs and DIY tasks.
o Working with volunteers and delegating jobs to them (if volunteering on the yard).
o Tidying of the yard and always keeping a high and professional standard.
o Working with RDA coaches and riders and assisting when required.
o Running and supervising of Own a Pony Days and other yard related activities.
o Supporting the Equine Manager with the RDA Regional Qualifiers and RDA National Championships.
o General day-to-day horse and field checks.
o Collecting forage and feed.
o Supporting the Centre in any other task and working with the team to support in any way possible.
• To train towards RDA coaching qualifications. With possibility for support towards BHS exams.
• Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the facilities with regard to cleanliness and safe condition.
• Understanding of the correct behaviour around horses.
• Complete necessary paperwork in respect of horses, RDA records and Centre records.
• Supervise and work alongside volunteers and work experience students.
• Work alongside volunteers in the provision of RDA sessions.
• Tractor driving, to assist with pasture management and daily activities.
• Follow all the Centre’s policies including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection and Confidentiality Policies.
• Promote the work of the Clwyd Special Riding Centre.
• Other duties assigned by the Equine Manager to assist in the smooth running of the Centre.
• At least a Level 2 horse care and riding qualification or equivalent proven skills and experience.
• Previous yard experience.
• Must be confident in riding a range of horses of varied sizes, temperament and age. (Interview will include a ridden element).
• Experience of and able to work as part of a team.
• Able to work without supervision to a high standard.
• Excellent communication and customer skills.
• Able to plan and priorities work when required.
• Able to work within given policies.
• Able to communicate at all levels.
• Customer-focused approach to work.
• An outgoing positive approach to working life at CSRC.
• Able to be adaptable and flexible particularly with reference to evening and weekend work.
• Professional manner and appearance.
• Driving license.
• Communicate through the medium of Welsh.
• BHS/Teaching Qualification.
• First Aid Qualification.
• Previous experience with RDA.